Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There are some things I already know how to love

Among them is good conversations with great friends. Anyone will tell you I'm not a great conversationalist. Especially with people I first meet. If I don't know you, I tend to be shy and awkward around you. That's just how I am. It isn't me being conceited or thinking I'm cooler than you. In fact, it's generally me thinking you're cooler than me, thus intimidating me to no end. That said, my friends are the people I feel comfortable talking to. They're people who know and understand that I say stupid things and am not always as witty as I think I am or hope to be.
I just had a lovely night catching up with a friend I hadn't had a legitimate conversation with in about nine months. She and I talked for hours, and discovered that we had even more in common than we previously thought. She would say something I've thought to myself before. Then I would surprise myself by sharing something I've never told anyone but my journal. Talking to her made me understand some things about myself, and made me feel much more content than I've been in awhile. We went on chatting as if no time had passed, and somehow I understood that we'd be friends for a long time.
That feeling is something I definitely already know how to love. It's something I cherish with the friends I already have and relish discovering with new people. I love knowing that there are other people in the world who think the way I do, who hold similar values dear, who can count on me the way I count on them for love, support, and a helping hand when necessary.
One more thing I love about my friends: they accept that I write cheesy things like this. They're pretty much the best, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment