Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

I am a Giants fan

I am a Giants fan. It’s a new thing, but it feels right to say. It started during the World Series last year. The combination of the excitement and Buster Posey in the squat got me hooked. I guess that means I’m technically one of those infamous band-wagoners, but I’m ok with that. Minus the constant harassment from those who’ve been Giants fans for forever. I apologize to all of you; sorry my fandom came at an inopportune time, but please stop shaming me. The guilt has already been quite enough.  
But really, I do consider myself a fan now. Not just of the Giants, but of baseball in general. I’ve watched Giants baseball almost every day I’ve been able to since the season started. I have the ESPN scores recap page bookmarked in my internet browser. Let me qualify these statements by saying I’ve never been much of a sports person, so this is all quite new to me. When I play any sport, it doesn’t really even matter which one, I inevitably get hit in the face. Literally. It’s like my nose has a special basketball magnet. When I watch sports, I never seem to be as into it as those around me. However, I’ve found myself quite invested in this baseball situation. I suppose you could say it started at the end of last year. I actually quite enjoyed going to watch my school’s games; not just because the players are cute (though that didn’t hurt…) but because I found myself enjoying figuring out the rules, strategizing in my head, being part of the crowd cheering wildly when anything interesting happens and groaning in exasperation when a play doesn’t work out.
Clearly, I’m still learning. I know next to nothing about the sport or any of the key players. But every so often, I find myself able to converse intelligently on the subject and a little surge of pride flares up in my chest. Unless that’s heartburn. Checking up on that. Anyway, the point of this mostly pointless post is that I’m beginning to identify as a baseball fan. And I’m starting with the Giants. And I’m not only okay with that, but I like it very much. Add it to the growing list of things in this world I’ve fallen in love with. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, oh Hal. This was great. Made me laugh, even though I am currently in a coffee shop... I got a couple looks. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete